2012 MotoGP calendar confirmed
A decision has now been made regarding the Portuguese Grand Prix at Estoril, meaning the final 2012 MotoGP World Championship calendar is as follows...
The FIM has announced that the Portuguese Grand Prix at Estoril will take place as planned, meaning the full 2012 MotoGP calendar will be as listed below.
Estoril was previously listed as 'Subject to Contract' while discussions continued between the circuit and Portuguese government over funding for the event.
Earlier this month Dorna CEO Carmelo Ezpeleta explained: "They [Estoril] are having meetings with the government. The Portuguese Grand Prix, like many others, is supported by the government. So the government will make the decision about whether they want to continue and we are giving them time."
Had Estoril been abandoned, there would have been no replacement.
Despite the 2012 date, the long-term future of Estoril and at least one of the Spanish rounds looks bleak. New events in Texas and Argentina are already confirmed as joining the calendar in 2013 and others such as India, Abu Dhabi, Chile and Korea are showing strong interest.
2012 MotoGP calendar
1. 8 April Qatar* Losail
2. 29 April Spain Jerez
3. 6 May Portugal Estoril
4. 20 May France Le Mans
5. 3 June Catalunya Catalunya
6. 17 June Great Britain Silverstone
7. 30 June Netherlands** Assen
8. 8 July Germany Sachsenring
9. 15 July Italy Mugello
10. 29 July United States*** Laguna Seca
11. 19 August Indianapolis Indianapolis
12. 26 August Czech Republic Brno
13. 16 September San Marino Misano
14. 30 September Aragon Motorland
15. 14 October Japan Motegi
16. 21 October Malaysia Sepang
17. 28 October Australia Phillip Island
18. 11 November Valencia Ricardo Tormo
* Evening Race
** Saturday Race
*** Only MotoGP class