Haga missing from 24-strong WSBK entry list
The 2012 World Superbike entry list is revealed, with Noriyuki Haga not included, while Carlos Checa decides against using the 'No.1' plate.
The provisional entry list for the 2012 World Superbike Championship has been revealed with 24 entrants confirmed, but no place for series favourite Noriyuki Haga.
With 23 riders confirmed prior to the list being released, there were few notable surprises, the only unexpected addition coming from Pro Ride, who are down to enter a Honda CBR1000RR for former Moto2 rider Raffaele De Rosa.
The list also confirms that champion Carlos Checa will not race with the coveted 'No.1', the Spaniard choosing to retain his usual 'No.7'.
Perhaps the biggest revelation, however, is the omission of 43-time race winner and fan favourite Haga, whose options with just over a month before the start of the 2012 season appear to be dwindling. The Japanese rider has maintained a very low profile over the winter, with rumours placing him on a Ducati in WSBK, but also teams in both Britain and Japan, while retirement has also been hinted.
For the time being, however, Haga, who was eighth overall with PATA Aprilia last season, will not ride in the 2012 World Superbike Championship.
World Superbike 2012 entry list
3. Max Biaggi ITA Aprilia Racing RSV-4
4. Hiroshi Aoyama JPN Honda WSBK CBR1000RR
7. Carlos Checa ESP Althea Ducati 1098R
17. Joan Lascorz ESP Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R
19. Chaz Davies GBR ParkinGO Aprilia RSV-4
21. John Hopkins USA Crescent Suzuki GSX-R1000
33. Marco Melandri ITA BMW Motorrad S1000RR
34. Davide Giugliano ITA Althea Ducati 1098R
35. Raffaele De Rosa ITA Pro Ride Honda CBR1000RR
36. Leandro Mercado ARG Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R
44. David Salom ESP Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R
50. Sylvain Guintoli FRA Effenbert Liberty Ducati 1098R
58. Eugene Laverty IRL Aprilia Racing RSV-4
59. Niccolo Canepa ITA Ducati Roma 1098R
65. Jonathan Rea GBR Honda WSBK CBR1000RR
66. Tom Sykes GBR Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R
78. Lorenzo Zanetti ITA PATA Ducati 1098R
84. Michel Fabrizio ITA BMW Italia Goldbet S1000RR
86. Ayrton Badovini ITA BMW Italia Goldbet S1000RR
91. Leon Haslam GBR BMW Motorrad S1000RR
96. Jakub Smrz CZE Effenbert Liberty Ducati 1098R
121. Maxime Berger FRA Liberty Effenbert Ducati 1098R
TBA. Leon Camier GBR Crescent Suzuki GSX-R1000
TBA. Mark Aitchison AUS Grillini Progea BMW S1000RR